Ethylhexylglycerin in cosmetics acts as a multifunctional ingredient.Here are the top 10 things to know about ethylhexylglycerin in cosmetics:
- Is ethylhexylglycerin natural? Ethylhexylglycerin is derived from synthetic raw materials.
- Is ethylhexylglycerin safe? With an EWG score of 1 and a rating of GOOD from Paula’s Choice, ethylhexylgylcerin is deemed to be very safe and a non-irritant. https://www.cir-safety.org/sites/default/files/ethylh122011finalx.pdf
- Is ethylhexylglycerin REACH registered? Yes. https://echa.europa.eu/registration-dossier/-/registered-dossier/16725
- Is ethylhexylglycerin registered in China? Yes.
- Is ethylhexylglycerin a Humectant? Ethylhexylglycerin has multiple benefits including acting as mild humectant, an emollient and can improve the skin feel of cosmetic formulations.
- What is ethylhexylglycerin used for? Ethylhexylglycerin is a multifunctional cosmetic ingredient used as an active component in deodorants, as an emollient and humectant in skin care, and boosting the anti-microbial performance of other ingredients to protect products from spoilage.
- Will ethylhexylglycerin destabilize an emulsion? No, when ethylhexylglycerin is used as typical dosage (0.3 – 1.0%) it is not known to destabilize an emulsion. This is a benefit compared to other multifunctional ingredients like caprylyl glycol.
- What are the benefits of ethylhexylglycerin? Boosts antimicrobial efficacy and enables lower concentrations of typically used preservatives including parabens or triclosan, multifunctional preservative component with emollient and humectants functionality.
- Is ethylhexylglycerin a preservative? Ethylhexylglycerin is not listed as a preservative in Annex V of the Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council. It is a multifunctional cosmetic ingredient used as a humectant, emollient, and to boost the anti-microbial efficacy of other ingredients, including preservatives, to protect products from spoilage.
- What is ethylhexylglycerin use in? Foundation, lipstick, moisturizers, make up, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, antiperspirant, exfoliant, lotions, baby shampoo/lotion/soap, shaving cream, fragrance, makeup remover, tanning lotion, sunscreen and much more!
If you would like to purchase ethylhexylglycerin from SACHEM, please visit our Saskine 50N™ product page located here.
Other details about ethylhexylglycerin in cosmetics:
CAS# 70445-33-9, INCI: Ethylhexylgycerin (EHG), Chem/IUPAC Name: 1,2-Propanediol, 3-(2-ethylhexyloxy)
Recommended use concentrations of Saskine™ 50N as skin care additive and deodorant active are 0.3 to 1.0%. It can be used in the 2-12 pH range. Saskine™ 50N is very soluble in organic solvents like alcohols, glycols, glycol ethers and paraffin oil. Its solubility in water is limited (ca. 0.1%) and the addition of co-solvents like butylene glycol might be needed in water solutions (or water with lower alcohol mixtures).