Technology Leader, Applications Development – (Specialty Materials)
Founded in 1950, SACHEM, Inc. is a privately held chemical science company with a strong focus on the development of high purity, high performance products and services. Our global presence provides opportunity for Associates to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the company’s success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lies with our people. We support our Associates in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect SACHEM’s high regard for our Associates.
SACHEM’s Specialty Materials Business offers products and services across a diverse array of markets including condensation polymer synthesis catalysts, phase transfer catalysts, transesterification catalysts, metal cross linking agents, carbohydrate modifiers, cationizers, personal care ingredients, preservatives, fungicides, displacement chromatography products, and surface modification/functionalization agents. New Business Development is focused on 1) identifying and producing new materials and solutions used in these markets, and 2) expanding into adjacent and new markets and applications. We are seeking an experienced, hands-on Applications Development Director to lead the identification of new opportunities and delivery of new offerings to meet customer, market and organizational objectives. This role is critical to delivering Sachem’s strategy and will be instrumental in guiding the development and enhancement of Sachem’s products and services for the Specialty Materials market. The role will be based in Austin, Texas, USA or Zaltbommel in the Netherlands.
- Through extensive internal teamwork and external collaboration, especially with marketing and sales:
- Refine strategy, develop and execute on product and technical roadmaps, and focus targets toward delivering differentiated, IP protected products and solutions for the Specialty Materials Market area
- Identify innovation and new business development opportunities and targets
- Accelerate innovation and development of specialty and performance products and services
- Organize the workflow (e.g. product development programs) in a global laboratory environment
- Communicate effectively with customers, partners, and end product users
- Interface and engage with SACHEM Subject Matter Experts as needed to solve problems
- Establish methodology for managing external collaborations and customer sampling: project prioritization and tracking
- Provide Health, Safety, and Environmental input into product development
- Network and represent Sachem externally (e.g. attend conferences, events, and visit institutions to knowledge share and further develop subject matter expertise), expand stakeholder engagement, and strengthen Sachem technical credibility in this strategic arena
- Working very closely with Sachem marketing and NBD Associates: identify opportunities and translate customer needs into impactful technology programs that create value, manage Specialty Materials programs and processes, and lead technology and project teams
- Build, strengthen and develop the Specialty Materials Technical Organization (including talent recruitment/development and enhance & expand core competencies and capabilities)
- Continuously scan external environment to identify and explore new opportunities in adjacent and high value segments where we can leverage SACHEM’S proprietary technology, advanced processes and tailored design of confidential molecular structures and high purity systems.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- B.S. required (advanced degree highly preferred) in chemistry, chemical engineering, polymers, materials science, formulation science, materials engineering or related discipline
- Results driven/goal oriented, with technical breadth and adaptability; experience in several fields: organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, personal care, and/or formulation and applications testing (Post-graduate industrial work experience required)
- Skills in polymer materials synthesis & applications development, personal care, pharmaceutical or agricultural chemicals, materials characterization and understanding of functional materials end use applications
- Experience with condensation polymer catalysis, and/or personal care formularies, and working grasp of the relevant industry and market dynamics, challenges and opportunities
- Team player and leader able to initiate and drive high impact technology and product development programs based on synthesis and integration of technical and market insights
- Structure-property-performance relationship focus/understanding is essential to success in this role
- Demonstrated ability to work as team/project leader and as an individual contributor in multidisciplinary, cross-functional teams
- Strong attention to detail, self-motivation, and ability to prioritize responsibilities and handle multiple duties/projects simultaneously
- Ability to efficiently oversee, coordinate, and complete tasks outlined in project plans on schedule and within budget
- Creative, innovative, and entrepreneurial problem solver with disciplined resourcefulness and high ethics
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills, plus ability to interact with the external scientific community
- Ability to travel up to 20-25% monthly, including quarterly travel between the US and Europe
- Familiarity with IP development/management, is a strong plus but not required.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.