Process Chromatography/Separations Scientist
Founded in 1950, SACHEM, Inc. is a privately held chemical science company with a strong focus on the development of high purity, high performance products and services. Our global presence provides opportunity for Associates to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the company’s success.
SACHEM’s develops and offers products and services across a diverse array of markets including Electronic Materials, polymerization catalysts, templating agents for zeolite catalyst manufacture, carbohydrate modifiers, cationic/anionic surface modification agents, processing aids, displacement chromatography products, and formularies for home, personal care, and agricultural chemicals. New Business and New Product Development is focused on (1) identifying and producing new processes, new materials and advanced solutions for these markets, and (2) expanding into new or adjacent markets and applications. We are seeking an experienced, hands-on Process Chromatography/Separations Scientist to lead the development and delivery of new technologies to meet customer, market and organizational needs for our key businesses. This role is critical to delivering Sachem’s strategy and will be instrumental in guiding the development and enhancement of Sachem’s products and services across market segments. It is an outstanding opportunity for the right person to develop his/her technical skills, and to advance his/her professional career, and to make an important impact in a science and technology-driven company. This position is at Sachem’s facility located in Cleburne, Texas, USA (south suburban Ft. Worth area).
The role has two main components: (1) 70% – Advanced separations science and preparative process chromatography and 2) 30% – Preparation and packaging of small to medium volume developmental chemical samples (1-20 Liter scale)
- Through teamwork and collaboration, and by leveraging the best available internal and external technologies:
- Carry out purification research, process optimization research, analytical method development, ion exchange-based waste-water treatment, materials of construction studies and product stability studies.
- Develop laboratory methods and procedures; coordinate purchase orders, quotes, and specifications needed to support sample and product development.
- Document and present test results, specifications and final formulations.
- Support technology transfer from bench scale to pilot scale.
- Ensure adherence to good, safe laboratory practices
- Communicate effectively with customers, partners, and end product users
- Interface with SACHEM Subject Matter Experts in order to solve technical problems.
Provide Health, Safety, and Environmental input into product development
- Scan external technology and business environments in order to identify and explore relevant new technologies that can be leveraged to drive innovation opportunities.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- At a minimum, have suitable professional experience with a BS degree or MS degree in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or Chemical Engineering (Ph.D. preferred).
- At least five years of experience in process column chromatography or related separations science.
- Have experience or familiarity with elution chromatography, displacement chromatography, affinity chromatography and batch adsorption/desorption processes using activated carbon, silica, alumina, titania, molecular sieves and cation-exchange/anion-exchange resins.
- Have experience or skill with relevant analytical methods and analytical instrumentation. Be able to develop Analytical Methods for detection of low levels of metal and particulate contamination.
- Must be able to Work Safely in Laboratory and Plant environments
- Have working knowledge of Organic Chemistry or Electrochemistry
- Have a results-driven and goal-oriented work ethic.
- Have depth and breadth in technical and scientific fields of expertise; have a history of keeping current in fields of expertise.
- Give strong attention to detail and self-motivation.
- Have the ability to prioritize responsibilities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Be a creative and innovative problem solver with disciplined resourcefulness.
- Engage in all professional activities with the highest ethical standards.
- Have strong interpersonal and networking skills; have the ability to interact with the external scientific community.
We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our Associates in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. We offer competitive salaries, a wide array of benefit options, and an exceptional retirement savings plan. These are just some of the many ways we recognize our employees for the large difference they make to SACHEM’s success.
You can submit your cover letter and resume to Linda Mashburn at email@example.com